PART 2: SQL Server Program Primary Installation
- Place Update7.EXE in the network IMASTER folder
and run it.
- Click through the wizard screens to unpack and
copy the components. (This process can be performed on a running
NOTE: As part of this setup, a new release of IMASTER7.EXE will be
placed in the staging folder. In order to register the SQL module
in the following steps, the master copy of IMASTER7.EXE must be
updated to 7.5.20 or greater. You may need to exit Image-Master in
order for the software to be updated.
- If SQL enabled workstations will be a subset of
the existing workstations in production (strongly recommended
during the beta), run WSETUP7.exe on these selected workstations
and configure them for a new, common Machine ID. (Do not
reconfigure any scanning stations into this group as scanning
stations should always be configured with their own unique machine
NOTE: If WSETUP7 prompts to restart the computer, close all running
applications and select [Yes] to finish the installation
process and restart the computer.
- Edit the IMASTER.INI in any text editor such as
Notepad as follows:
- Locate the section header for the Machine ID
configured in the previous step.
- Add a new line below the corresponding
[Station..] line in the file.
- Type the following: UseSQLServer=1
Typical Example for a SQL Data Source
DBNAME=F:\IMASTER\CLS000 (This example uses
CLS000 as the
first six characters of the DB name; be sure to use the first six
characters of your DB name.)
- Save and close the modified IMASTER.INI
- From any SQL enabled workstation, run
- Verify that the version is 7.5.20 or greater at
the login screen. If it is not, close Image-Master and make sure
all existing users exit Image-Master briefly so that the core can
be upgraded to the new version.
- Login to Image-Master as an administrative user
(Admin). Initially, a message appears stating that SQL Server
access has been enabled, but the access module has not been
- Select the [Register SQL] button to open
the Image-Master Module Registration dialog box.
- Contact Commercial Legal Software (CLS) during
normal business hours to obtain a registration code for the SQL
features. This procedure will only have to be performed one time.
If you are running Image-Master after hours, choose "Disable SQL"
or "Cancel" to proceed without enabling SQL. Image-Master will
operate normally and you will be prompted to register the module
again each time Image-Master is started from a SQL enabled
NOTE: Even if SQL server access can not be enabled, the remaining
installation steps, including the initial data migration, can still
- On the SQL Server using the SQL Server
Management Tools or other configuration tools, create a database on
the SQL server. The database can be named as desired, although a
descriptive name such as "ImageMaster" is recommended.
- Configure access and authentication to the
created database for the users.
- During the beta period, give most users liberal
rights to create, delete, update, and read tables within the
database. For ease of access, set the authentication to use the
network credentials. After the beta period, more restrictive rights
and logons can be enabled.
- Create a file DSN using the control panel
Data Sources Tool or a text editor. If creating the
file DSN by hand, include the following options:
NOTE: In the following
example, the items in italics must be substituted with settings
appropriate for your site. The remaining lines must be typed as
DATABASE=database name as
specified in step #11
APP=Microsoft Visual FoxPro
SERVER=your SQL server
Description=Image-Master SQL Server Access
CAUTION: In the next step, do not
overwrite the DBF table! If unsure, make a backup copy of the
IMASTER folder before choosing to replace any file.
- Save this file DSN as the same name as the Image-Master
database CF table, but with a DSN extension. (i.e. If the primary
CF table is F:\IMASTER\CLS000CF.DBF, then save the file DSN as
NOTE: Depending on the number of
documents and the speed of your network this next step may take a
considerable time to complete. A progress bar will be provided.
Typical upload speeds average approximately 12,000-30,000 documents
- Run the IM2SQL.EXE module. Follow the prompts to select
the desired Image-Master database.
- Choose [Start Upload] to begin the process of copying
the existing data to a corresponding table on the SQL server.
- This completes the initial deployment.
SQL Server Usage Instructions
IM-SQL Database Notes